Winter School on Environmental crimes
UNICRI and the Italian Society for International Organization (SIOI) are organizing the seventh edition of the Winter School on Environmental Crimes, which will be delivered online, from 20 to 24 November 2023.
The course will provide participants a fundamental understanding of what environmental crimes are and on how law enforcement bodies and judicial systems are responding. The existing international legal framework will be examined with a view to improve participants’ ability to address the issue in a comprehensive way and promote their role as advocates for an effective change in public policies, strategies, and practices.
GOAL AND CONTENT
The Winter School offers professional, legal, social, scientific and academic perspectives through live webinars, group discussions, dynamic case studies, individual readings, and practical exercises.
The faculty is composed of leading scholars and academics from leading universities, representatives of the United Nations system, international human rights bodies and the civil society.
Through a dedicated online platform, participants will have the opportunity to interact with international recognized experts and peers from all over the world, so to build lasting professional relationships. This experience fosters intercultural dialogue and promotes a deeper understanding of some of the world’s most complex and debated issues.
The curriculum of the course may focus on:
- Environment and geopolitics
- The concept of environmental protection and its evolution
- Existing international legal frameworks to prevent crimes against the environment
- Links between environmental crimes and COVID-19
- Involvement of organized criminal groups in environmental crimes, with a specific focus on trafficking of natural resources
- Waste trafficking and its impact on human health and security
- Wildlife crimes
- Risk analysis of environmental crimes
- Environmental conflicts and justice
- Individual, corporate and State accountability for environmental crimes
CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION
Upon attendance of all live webinars and completion of the course activities and assignments, participants will receive a SIOI and UNICRI certificate of participation.
The course is designed for university graduates in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Social Science, and other relevant disciplines. It is also addressed to young professionals working in governmental institutions, local authorities, international and non-governmental organizations seeking to deepen their understanding of current environmental crimes issues.
Candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
Hold a three-year university degree issued by an internationally recognized university in one of the aforementioned areas;
Have a very good working knowledge of English.
Applications from students who expect to graduate at the end of the 2023/24 academic year will also be considered.
How to apply
- Application deadline: please complete and send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 6 November 2023.
- Confirmation of acceptance: the results of the selection process will be communicated via e-mail, within 1 week following receipt of the application.
- Payment deadline: full payment has to be finalized within 1 week following confirmation of acceptance (i.e. candidates should provide UNICRI and SIOI with proof of payment via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Download the Application form
Registration fees amounts to 600 Euro.
Registration fees include:
- Course material on electronic version
Cancellation and Refunds
As per our general policy, in the case of cancellation of your participation, registration fees will not be refunded for any reason.
Given the current exceptional circumstances, however, full refund of the registration fees will be guaranteed should the cancellation be linked to the Corona Virus crisis (i.e. health problems of the participant or spouse/registered partner/children or parents). Evidence of such ground should be provided when requesting the refund.
EDUCATIONAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS
Società Italiana per l’Organizzazione Internazionale, Palazzetto di Venezia, Piazza di San Marco, 51 – 00186 Roma Tel. (39) 06/6920781 / e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – email@example.com / www.sioi.org