The Italian Society for International Organization – SIOI and Unitelma Sapienza, in agreement with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and CNR, organize the University Master’s Degree in Sustainable Development, Geopolitics of resources and Arctic Studies.
The Master’s course aims to create high qualified professionals that could be relevant for the Institutions, the area of consulting and services, industry, environmental management bodies, international governmental and non-governmental organizations, research institutions and, in general, for all those public or private organizations related to environmental managament in fragile ecosystems like the Arctic.
This master is adressed to graduates of all academic fields, executives and functionaries of the civil and military Public Admistrations, officials from embassies, directors and commissionaires of the private sector, with a good knowledge of the English language.
The Master’s course has a total duration of 12 months (1500 hours) including educational training activities, individual study, preparation of tests, final project work and curricular internship.
At the end of the course, the preparation of a final Project work (15 CFU) is foreseen, which consists in the preparation and discussion of a thesis on a theme consistent with the modules of the master and approved by the Director of the master. The final paper will be discussed by the candidate and submitted for evaluation by the Commission for the achievement of the master’s degree.
POLITICAL MODULE (SPS/04 ECTS 10):
• Geostrategic analysis of crisis areas
• Geopolitics of energy
• Geopolitics of resources and environment
• Geopolitics of transports
• The Arctic as a new geo-strategic scenario
• The Arctic Council: history, evolution and composition
ECONOMICAL MODULE (SECS-P/02 ECTS 10):
• Green economy and sustainable development
• Sustainable development and economic perspectives
• Energy efficiency and renewable resources
• The shale gas revolution
• Fishing Management and Ecosystem Protection
• The Blue Gold: Management and Control of Water Resources
• Exploitation of Arctic Energetic Resources
• New Commercial Routes: Changes in the Global Transport Scenarios
LEGAL MODULE (SPS/04 ECTS 10):
• The legal aspects of environmental protection
• The international organizations for environment and energy
• The International Environmental Conventions
• The protection of biodiversity and the struggle against climate change
• The Environmental protection in the EU
• The UN and the international environmental governance: MDGs and 2030 Agenda
• Antarctica: the Washington Treaty and parallelism with the Arctic region
• The Law of the Sea and the Convention of Montegobay
• Legal aspects and environmental impacts of offshore drilling in the Arctic
SCIENTIFIC MODULE (M-GRR/02 ECTS 8):
• Climate change and the environmental impact
• The evolution of global warming and the IPCC
• The consequences of global warming in the Polar Regions
• Protection of the Arctic ecosystem: flora, fauna and indigenous peoples
• Rising of the sea levels and extreme natural phenomena
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL MODULE (SPS/10 ECTS 4):
• The protection of indigenous peoples in the international law
• History of the exploration of the Arctic
• Direct management of the territory: the case of Nunavut and Greenland
• Analysis of the status of indigenous peoples in their national States
At the end of the formative course, the student will complete an internship within institutions, public administrations, organizations, and enterprises and societies that operate in this sector. The participants will take individual interviews with officers of SIOI, aimed to identify the area of interest for the traineeship. A list of organizations affiliated with SIOI available to accommodate participants who have earned the master’s degree will be distributed.
The evaluation of the issuance of the master’s degree will be based on the participation in educational activities, the attendance of at least 80% of the lessons and of the preparation and argument of the dissertation.
Registrations are made through the compilation of a Module that can be found online at the website www.sioi.org and by sending the necessary documentation either at the following e-mail address: email@example.com or by fax at 066789102.
The registration cost for this course is of a total of 4.300,00 Euros whereof 300,00 Euros have to be given at the moment of the registration either through CCP n.33468000, headed to SIOI, Via Marco 3 – 00186 Roma or CCB headed to SIOI, IBAN: IT79X0200805181000400118070.
Master’s Supervisors: Sara Cavelli (SIOI) and Antonello Folco Biagini (Unitelma Sapienza).
Coordination Committee: Antonello Folco Biagini, Dean of Unitelma Sapienza; Franco Frattini, SIOI President; Carlo Barbante, Director of Polar Sciences Institute, CNR; Sara Cavelli, SIOI General Director.
Società Italiana per l’Organizzazione Internazionale, Palazzetto di Venezia, Piazza di San Marco, 51 – 00186 Roma Tel. (39) 06/6920781 Fax 06/6789102 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – email@example.com / www.sioi.org