MASTER DEGREE IN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT,
GEOPOLITCS OF RESOURCES AND ARCTIC STUDIES
The Italian Society for International Organization - SIOI and Unitelma Sapienza, in agreement with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Italian Ministry of the Environment and Protection of Land and Sea, organizes the Master Degree in Sustainable Development, Geopolitics of resources and Arctic Studies.
The Master's course aims to create high qualified professionals that could be relevant for the Institutions, the area of consulting and services, industry, environmental management bodies, international governmental and non-governmental organizations, research institutions and, in general, for all those public or private organizations related to environmental managament in fragile ecosystems like the Arctic.
This master is adressed to graduates of all academic elds, executives and functionaries of the civil and military Public Admistrations, of - cials from embassies, directors and commissionaires of the private sector, with a good knowledge of the English language
This master is adressed to graduates of all academic fields, executives and functionaries of the civil and military Public Admistrations, officials from embassies, directors and commissionaires of the private sector, with a good knowledge of the English language.
The Master provides a formative activity that equals 200 unities of frontal didactic activities and 400 unities of individual studies and research. The lessons will take place from March until October on Mondays and Tuesdays from 2pm until 5pm. Furthermore, visits, meetings and workshops with agencies and multinationals will be planned. These features will be hosted by Institutions and Corporations that operate in this sector.
The Master is divided into five learning modules or subject areas.
LEGAL MODULE (SPS/04 ECTS 10): The module deals with the analysis of national and international legislative requirements that underlie the use of energy, environmental protection and biodiversity, the claims of the continental shelf and the bi-multilateral cooperation for the proper use of natural resources and the protection of biodiversity. It will be deepened the need for a system of prevention and monitoring in support of shipping and the use of energy, in which the aerospace component – a field full of Italian excellence worldwide - plays a major role.
• The legal aspects of environmental protection
• The international organizations for environment and energy
• The International Environmental Conventions
• The protection of biodiversity and the struggle against climate change
• The Environmental protection in the EU
• The UN and the international environmental Governance: the MDGs and The 2030 Agenda
• Antarctica: the Washington Treaty and parallelism with the Arctic region
• The Law of the Sea and the Convention of Montegobay
• Legal aspects and environmental impacts of offshore drilling in the Arctic
ECONOMICAL MODULE (SECS-P/02 ECTS 10): States’ policies are often influenced by the objectives of the multinational corporations that operate according to laws dictated by economic profit: How facing the challenge of an economy capable of ensuring sustainable development? The conquest of new markets and energy resources will be the subject of this module, accompanied by the analysis of the issues related to fishing rights, rights of navigation as a consequence of the opening of new trade routes and the development of extreme tourism. Particular attention will be paid to the experience of the Italian business operating in the Arctic.
• Fundamentals, historical evolution and scenarios of sustainable development
• Green economy
• Population, economic development and environmental pressure
• Energy efficiency and renewable resources
• Natural capital, availability and exhaustible resources in the circumpolar area
• Arctic resources, sustainability and global perspectives
• Infrastructures and Arctic maritime routes in the global economic system
• Actors and policies of the Arctic economy
SCIENTIFIC MODULE (M-GRR/02 ECTS 8):
The aim of this module is to scientifically analyze the evolution of global warming and the impact on the ecosystem, particularly in the Arctic. Being the "earth thermometer ", the study of the polar regions is necessary to understand the consequences of climate change on the remaining areas of the planet.
• Climate change and the environmental impact
• The evolution of global warming and the IPCC
• The consequences of global warming in the Polar Regions
• Effects and consequences of climate changes from the Arctic to the middle latitudes
• Protection of the Arctic ecosystem: flora, fauna and indigenous peoples
• Rising of the sea levels and extreme natural phenomena
POLITICAL MODULE (SPS/04 ECTS 10):
The module focuses on the geopolitical and geostrategic dynamics at an international and regional level, in particular on the status of the Arctic Council, its composition (Member States, representatives of indigenous peoples, Observers, Task Forces and Working Groups) and its attempts to face problems and possible forms of cooperation in a reality as complex as the Arctic. It will also be analyzed the national initiatives and the role played by our country in the Arctic context.
• Geostrategic analysis of crisis areas
• Geopolitics of transports
• Geopolitics of energy
• Geopolitics of resources and environment
• The Arctic Council: history, evolution and composition
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL MODULE (SPS/10 ECTS 4):
Particular attention will be paid to the protection of the local population, the territory they inhabited and to the involvement in decision making regarding the development and exploitation of energy resources. A Technical Symposium will focus on the analysis of the direct management of the territory by the indigenous people: the experience of Canada.
• The protection of indigenous peoples in the international law
• The sustainable development of the territory:the case of nunavut and Greenland
• Direct management of the territory: the case of Nunavut
• Analysis of the status of indigenous peoples in their national States
• History of the exploration of the Arctic
At the end of the formative course, the student will complete an internship within institutions, public administrations, organizations, and enterprises and societies that operate in this sector. The participants will take individual interviews with officers of SIOI, aimed to identify the area of interest for the traineeship. A list of organizations affiliated with SIOI available to accommodate participants who have earned the master’s degree will be distributed
The evaluation of the issuance of the master’s degree will be based on participation in educational activities, the attendance of at least 80% of the lessons and of the preparation and argument of the dissertation
Registrations are made through the compilation of a Module that can be found online at the website www.sioi.org and by sending the necessary documentation either at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 066789102.
The registration cost for this course is of a total of 4.300,00 Euros whereof 300,00 Euros have to be given at the moment of the registration either through CCP n.33468000, headed to SIOI, Via Marco 3 – 00186 Roma or CCB headed to SIOI, IBAN: IT79X0200805181000400118070.
|DATE: 20 aprile 2020 – 30 ottobre 2020|
|SEDE: SIOI – Piazza di San Marco 51, 00186, Roma|
|GIORNI E ORARI DELLE LEZIONI: lunedì ed il martedì dalle ore 14.00 alle 17.00|
|ISCRIZIONI: in corso|
|CONTATTI: Ufficio Formazione SIOI – email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org – tel: +39 06.69207838/51|